Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jacob Skaria Jacob Skaria is offline

Default Vlookup help please

Try this

=LOOKUP(ABS(your formula here),{0,20,31,41},{0,1,2,3,4})

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"ferde" wrote:

I'm not sure how to approach this and would appreciate some direction. Can I
use an IF formula with Vlookup?

1 Scores
2 150
3 100
4 140
5 120
6 200
First I need to calculate the difference between two numbers in column A.
For example the difference between A6 and A5.
Once I have determined this value I thought I would use a Vlookup table to
assign a grade in column B but I'm not certain if this will work because
sometimes the difference between the two numbers may be a negative number.

For Example:
If the value falls 20-30 points I can assign a Grade of 2
If the value falls 31-40 points I can assign a Grade of 3
If the value is changes < 20 points in either direction I can assign a Grade
of 0
If the value between two cells rises 20-30 points I can assign a Grade of 2
If the value between two cells rises 31-40 points I can assign a Grade of 3
If the value between two cells rises 41 points I can assign a Grade of 4

Thank you in advance