Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default How can I use a formula to return the first number in a range?

Try this array formula** :

=INDEX(A1:A10,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(A1:A10),0))

key then hit ENTER.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Husker87" wrote in message
I have a range A1:A10. I'm looking for a formula to put in B1 that will
return the first number in my range A1:A10 when searching from top to
bottom.
Sometime the first number appears in A1 and sometimes not until A4 with
other numbers in A7 and A8. I only want A4 or the first number.
Thoughts??