Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Substitute Text for Plus or Minus

There are lots of tutorials on the web.

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros he
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

If you search these newsgroups for "tutorial macro excel", I'm sure you'll find
tons of suggestions--heck, you could even search the web (bing.com or
google.com) and get lots.

DOUG wrote:

Dave: Thanks. I had tried that without the ampersand, using just the quotes.

What is the best way for an amateur like me to de-code VBA statements? Is
there a good online source (which happens to be free and accessible)?

DOUG

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

just add another string

=$G$32&" 09 - Compared to last month, RVUs "&TEXT($J$32,"""rose""
0%;""fell"" 0%;"" were unchanged""")&"."

DOUG wrote:

Dave: I got it to work using the following instructions.

=$G$32&" 09 - Compared to last month, RVUs "&TEXT($J$32,"""rose""
0%;""fell"" 0%;"" were unchanged""")

I had left off the "0%" after the word "fell"!

I would still like to know how to place a period at the end of the sentence
without invalidating the instructions, if you do not mind.

DOUG

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If A1 contained the percentage, you could use a formula like:

="In May, such and such a value "
&TEXT(A1,"""rose ""0%;""fell ""0%;""stayed even""")

The =text() function has 4 parts:
positive;negative;zero;text

I didn't touch the text portion.

DOUG wrote:

Is there a way to substitute the words "UP" or "ROSE" and "DOWN" or "FELL"
for a calcualted value referenced in another cell in a concatenated statement
combining text and the cell reference? (So, instead of saying "In May, such
and such a value was -10%", I would be able to say it "fell 10%").

DOUG ECKERT

--

Dave Peterson

--