Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Yuvraj Yuvraj is offline

Default Problem in the data of the file in the FTP after the saving of ex

On 11 June, 12:35, Dave Peterson wrote:
If the cell is formatted as General and you see that 09/06/10 in the cell, then
the value is not a date--it's just a string.

You could verify this by using:
=isnumber(a1)
where A1 contained that value.

(You sure you checked the numberformat of the cell, right?)

======
But I'm confused.

Do you see the ###'s in your saved excel file or do you only see them in your
uploaded (after the FTP) data file?

If you don't see them in excel, then the problem is not with excel. *If you see
them in excel and the values are really dates, then you should be able to widen
the column to see the date.

It sounds to me (and this is just a guess) is that the program that's displaying
the FTP'd data expects a number (dates are just numbers formatted nicely in
excel) and it's not getting them.

So I would look at those cells that cause trouble once more (in app.xls) and
make sure that the values are really dates--not just strings masquerading as
dates.

Yuvraj wrote:

<<snipped

Thanx Dave,

The FTP and all is no issues at all dave ideally what gets saved in
Temp folder is put to FTP.

I generally see what is saved in Temp folder app.xls file.

Regarding the sheet1 of app.xls which i am saving is not in date
format, It is general format(ideally text format) but the value there
is a date like 09/06/10.

Hence when i save app.xls out of 10 values which is ideally date but
in text format, 2 gets converted to date format on its own in the
sheet1 of app.xls.

This I do not want I want the format which is text to e retained
though the value in that Sheet 1 is a date, not in date format.

Hence 2 out of 10 gets changed to date format hence gives ####.

Generally it is the topmost rows.

Regards,

Yuvraj

Problem is that when we save it by

--

Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

I see it in the saved excel file Dave, upload does not have issue.

Ideally what the value in the cells before save is a text or string,
after workbook.save the text format or general format of the cell
changes to date format in the saved app.xls.

Hence it shows #### and this is till infinite you cannot see that. Yes
you can see the message ideally there which I mentioned before.

But Dave the value before save in those cells are text and after save
it becomes date format hence shows the ############## value there.

Ideally it does for first few rows.

I am perturbed why first rows only what has happened.

The only thing I can add is that the abcd.xls has got those data
pasted from a csv files and app.xls gets it pasted by abcd.xls.

Please consider my thanx for your assistance.

Regards,

Yuvraj