Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kesse kesse is offline

Default TEXT TO COLUMNS WITH LEADING ZEROS

I may be missing something but I don't understand how this fixes the problem.
I'm trying to seperate 9 digits out into 9 columns. All of them have leading
zeros that need to be retained. But when I go to TextToColumns it doesn't
even bring in the leading zeros into the data preview. Selecting Text on step
3 of 3 doesn't change anything. There's no delimiter so I'm trying to do it
by fixed width unless you have another suggestion for that.

Thanks

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi Peggy,

The final screen of the TextToColumns wizard gi ves you the option of
selecting the format for each column. Select the text format option and all
should be well.

---
Regards,
Norman

"Peggy" wrote in message
When I try to use Text To Columns to split a long series of numbers into
several columns of numbers, if one of the numbers starts with a zero it
isn't
retained. The zero gets dropped. I tried formatting the original numbers
as
text - it didn't work.
Is there a way to split a numerical string into several columns and
retain
leading zeroe?