Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joel joel is offline

Default Idea to use Excel for Random Assignment

Are you looking for a worksheet function solution or a VBA solution. I think
you would need a VBA solution. I assume you mean an optimum solution is
every player in A plays every other player in A and every player in B plays
every other player in B without any of the game boards being empty. This
mens ther are 49 games for each group (8 * 7)/ 2. Eight players each
playing 7 games and because there are two players per game you divide by 2.
There are 56 total games (28 Group a and 28 Group B). that means there will
be 19 rounds (56/3) with the last round only 2 boards occupied.

"Vishnu" wrote:

Hello,
Here is my Situation

Group 1 players A2:A9 - I have Players A1,A2,A3...A8
Group 2 players B2:B9 - I have Players B1,B2,B3...B8
Chess Boards available : C1,C2,C3

Is there a way we can come up with random assignment within the same group
with following restrictions
- Only 3 available chess boards for both the groups
- Players within the same group play once

Optimum assignment is needed

Thanks in advance for your help