Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sezingsheim sezingsheim is offline

Default Locking cell data from change

I have set up payroll for the small company I work for in Excel 2007, with
separate worksheets for each employees info (address, withholding allowances,
wage rates, vac time accrued, etc), tax tables, weekly paystubs, monthly and
yearly reports. The problem I am having is that I want to lock all data
previously entered once I close a month/quarter so that there is no way to
change the data in any way since I will have already filed the taxes for that
quarter. I know that I can lock specific cells and worksheets from changes
being input, but is there a way to keep "cascade" changes from taking effect
in those cells and worksheets? For instance, an employee gets a raise, I put
the new rate in the employee card (which is the cell that the weekly paystubs
pull from to calculate the gross pay), and oops, now the previous pay periods
reflect the new wages and not the old wages that they were actually paid. Is
there a way to do this?