Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
g.king g.king is offline

Default Looking up a value next to a designated cell

I have a worksheet with names of sports along row 1. In row 2 there are
scores [out of 25] for each sport. To the right of this table I need to find
the sport with the highest score, 2nd, 3rd highest, etc. To do the ranking I
am using =LARGE(A2:J2,1). The final argument is changed to 2 or 3 to achieve
the ranking and works acceptably even if 2 sports have the same score.

My problem is that I also need to know which sport achieved the highest
score. Lets say the cell showing the highest score in the area to the right
is cell M2. I can do this using the Hlookup function if I duplicate the
headings A1:J1 and paste them below the scores [say A3:J3] -
=hlookup(M2,A2:J2,2,false). The problem with this method is that there are
often 2 sports with the same score €“ lets say basketball and hockey both
have a score of 23. For the highest score the function finds 23 in M2 and
returns €śBasketball€ť as the first instance in the table. The 2nd highest
result [in O2] then also finds €śbasketball€ť.

Ive experimented with Cell, Offset and combinations/nested variations of
these with Lookup and Large but to no avail. Is there a better way to achieve
what I want?

--
G.King