Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Shane Devenshire[_2_] Shane Devenshire[_2_] is offline

Default Ice melt model in Excel

Hi Pecoflyer,

The third argument of SUMIF is optional, if the 1st and 3rd ranges are the
same you can ignore the 3rd argument.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Pecoflyer" wrote:

Hi,
supposing temp of deg is not included and your data for a given day is
in cells A1 to A24, follwoing wll give the sum of daily positive temps
:
=sumif(a1:a24,"0",a1:a24)
You ca then multiply this outcome with the meltfactor and area

thehigh_23;373222 Wrote:
Hi
For a project I am doing university I need to produce a basic ice melt
model. I have got hourly temperature data for a whole year from a
certain location and area data from a glacier I am looking at, which
has been broken down to several elevation bands each containing the
area of ice present in that band.
Basically I need the model first to calculate the sum of postive
degrees for each day of the year (so this would add together all the
temperature data above 0 for each day). This would leave me with 365
postive degree day factors (DDF).

Each of these DDF's then need to be multiplied by a Meltfactor (say
0.06) and then multiplied by the area of a selceted elevation band
(DDF x 0.06) x Area

I am still a bit of a novice when it comes to all things excel so Im
struggling a bit with this one. Its been suggested that I should use
VBA but to be honest i dont know where to start. Any useful tips etc
would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Ryan

--