thehigh_23 thehigh_23 is offline
Junior Member

Default Ice melt model in Excel

Hi
For a project I am doing university I need to produce a basic ice melt model. I have got hourly temperature data for a whole year from a certain location and area data from a glacier I am looking at, which has been broken down to several elevation bands each containing the area of ice present in that band.
Basically I need the model first to calculate the sum of postive degrees for each day of the year (so this would add together all the temperature data above 0 for each day). This would leave me with 365 postive degree day factors (DDF).

Each of these DDF's then need to be multiplied by a Meltfactor (say 0.06) and then multiplied by the area of a selceted elevation band
(DDF x 0.06) x Area

I am still a bit of a novice when it comes to all things excel so Im struggling a bit with this one. Its been suggested that I should use VBA but to be honest i dont know where to start. Any useful tips etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Ryan