Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ashish Mathur[_2_] Ashish Mathur[_2_] is offline

Default Autopopulate cell name with tab name

Hi,

Go to insert Name Define and type a name there, say "names" (w/o
quotes). In the refers to box, type =GET.WORKBOOK(1).

Now in cell C5, type the following formula and copy down

=MID(INDEX(names,,ROW()-ROW($C$4)+1),SEARCH("]",INDEX(names,,ROW()-ROW($C$4)+1),1)+1,LEN(INDEX(names,,ROW()-ROW($C$4)+1))-SEARCH("]",INDEX(names,,ROW()-ROW($C$4)+1),1))&T(NOW())

If you starting cell reference is something else, say G6, then change the
row($C$4) to row($G$5)

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Neall" wrote in message
I have about 100 tabs each signifying a customer profile what I need now
is
to automatically take the worksheet name (customer number) and give a cell
that name so cell 1A would have a name of 123456

The reason I need to do this is because I am using a template for all tabs
and as long as this one variable in the template changes to reflect the
customer number then each sheet will work independently when I do a full
update of all sheets.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
--