Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jdungan jdungan is offline

Default This cell contains a date string rep. with only 2 digits for the y

I'm creating a spreadsheet of Test Cases using 1-1, 1-2, etc as my numbering
system.

The cells are all set as Text format, yet I started getting the following
error in Excel when I get to 1-32 and up:

"This cell contains a date string represented with only 2 digits for the year"

These cells are formatted to text so that they appear "as typed" so why is
it trying to convert it into a date?

I also can't use bulk replace to change "1-" to "2-"; when it does the
replace it converts ALL my test case numbers to (as far as I can tell) random
5 digit numbers; ex. 1-1 to 2-1 changes automatically to 39845, as well as
gives the following error:

"The number in this cell is formatted as text or is preceded by an
apostrophe".

This is extremely annoying and also means that I have to go through all the
duplicated test case sheet and change all the numbers manually.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.