JulieD

and if you can't get me on that email (i've had problems from other people
in the ng trying to get through) use
julied at consultant dot com

--
Cheers
JulieD

"JulieD" wrote in message
Hi Bo

email me direct (julied_ng at hcts dot net dot au) and i'll send you a
sample workbook with it setup ... and we can take it from there.

--
Cheers
JulieD
"JulieD" wrote in message
Hi Bo

i'll try to have a look at this in detail tomorrow and get back to you

Cheers
JulieD
...well i'm working on it anyway
"Bo" wrote in message
Since it appears not possible without code, I suppose VBA would work,
but I
am not familiar with the language. I am a beginner programmer in C++,
however, so if you could include some code, I'm sure I could figure it
out.
To answer some questions you have, let's say I have a label in the first
tab
("Report") with "Enter food group" in cell A3 and cell D3 has the
dropdown
with the list of food groups. For simplicity, let say there are three
choose from (Fruits, Meats, and Dairy). These are listed in Data!A2:A4
with
a label of FoodGroups that is validated as a list in D3 for the
dropdown.
Next I have A5 with a label "Choose your food" with a dropdown in cell
D5
with a validation for a list using Data!B8:B243 for the food items.
Data!A8:A243 has the food group (values for these cells can be: Dairy,
Meats,
Fruits, Dairy/Meat, Dairy/Fruits, Meat/Fruits). If I choose in cell D3
"Fruits", I would like the dropdown in D5 to show food items that have
the
food group Fruits, Dairy/Fruits, and Meat/Fruits only. If they choose
Fruits
in the first cell and select Milk in the second, then change their mind
in
the first, the second cell should switch to a blank cell (or the first
item
of the list, whichever is easier). I would also like the ability to add
additional items or delete others in the future without drastically
changing
the calculations.
Thanks in advance!

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi Bo

i do not know how to achieve this without using VBA, i guess you could
put a
worksheet_change event in place that looks at what is chosen in the
first
data / validation box and creates and populates a second data
validation box
meeting your requirements.

So, first question - are you happy with a code solution?
if so, i will need to know
what is the cell reference(s) of the first validation box
what is the cell reference(s) of the second (dependent) box
what do you want to do if a value has been selected in the second box
and
then someone changes their mind for the first box?
also there will need to be a table somewhere that says "F" in the
second
column equals "Fruit" and "M" equals "Meat" - what is the reference of
this
table?

if you don't want a code solution then i think what you're after is not
possible.

--
Cheers
JulieD