Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme[_3_] Bernard Liengme[_3_] is offline

Default Search dates

With the date to look up in D1, this formula will return the percentage from
column B
=INDEX(B2:B6,MATCH(D1,A2:A6,-1)+1)
Please test it with more data

If you data had been sorted with dates in ascending order, a much simpler
formula could be used
=VLOOKUP(D1,A2:B6,2,TRUE)

But read Help about MATCH and VLOOKUP to check that they need you criteria
Suppose the test date was 10/Aug/2009 and the table had data for the 9th and
the 11th, which one do you want?

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"WELSH_EXCEL" wrote in message

I am new to this forum so apologies if there are any ground rules I
have missed.

I have a spreadsheet with dates and percentage. I want to be able to
search the data to retrieve a percentage.

For example, if I want to know what result was valid on 16 March, the
answer would be 60.0% as the latest result up to this date was 60.0% on
4 March 09.

I would like to be able to put any date in a cell and in the next cell
the most recent result for that date will appear.

I hope this makes sense.

I have attached a sample screenshot of the spreadsheet which may make
more sense!

Thanks,

Nick

|Filename: screenshot.JPG |