Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Format text within a formula

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 01:37:01 -0700, Larry Horsley <Larry
wrote:

I am using Excel 2007 SP1.
I have a formula that I want to format the font color of specific text
sections.

Here is my formula:

="change. Payback period will net you " &
IF(OFFSET(NextBuy!$AC$6,ForcastDays,0,1,1)0,DOLL AR(ABS(OFFSET(NextBuy!$AC$6,ForcastDays,0,1,1)),0)
& " more
than",IF(OFFSET(NextBuy!$AC$6,ForcastDays,0,1,1)< 0,DOLLAR(ABS(OFFSET(NextBuy!$AC$6,ForcastDays,0,1, 1)),0)
& " less than"," no difference from")) & " ROI, during the next"

What I want to do is format the DOLLAR parts as green for greater than zero,
and red for less than zero. How can I do this?

You cannot do that with a worksheet function.

You can only differentially format the text within a cell if there is an actual
text string within the cell (and not text that is the result of a formula).

So you will need to accomplish your formula within a VBA macro; then write the
resultant text string to the cell; then, using the Characters property, you
will be able to format the particular characters of that string as you wish.
--ron