Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Charles Allen Charles Allen is offline

Default Default Behavior of Saving as Save As

If I start a new document, the title bar shows a filename, like Book1.xlsx.
If I have a document open and click New Document, I'll get a new document
with something like Book2. If I keep clicking the new document icon to create
multiple documents the title bar on each will be book3 or book4 or book5. If
I click save on any of them, a file named book(x).xlsx is created where (x)
is the number after the word book.

Using the above example, I kept clicking the new document icon until I saw
book5 in the title bar. I clicked Save and the title changed to book5.xlsx.

When I entered the formula you provided in a cell in this book5.xlsx
document, it showed c:\documents and settings\callen\my
documents\[Book5.xlsx]Sheet1.

--
Charles Allen, MVP

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

What happens if you click Save now?

Does excel save the file?

If you type:
=cell("filename",a1)
in an empty cell, you'll see the path and workbook name (if the file has been
saved at least once).

Maybe that'll give you a hint of what's happening???

I'm guessing that you're editing an existing file (maybe book.xlt?) instead of
starting with a brand new workbook.

Charles Allen wrote:

There's definitely another problem. The question is, "What?"
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

In 2007 I tried saving a new workbook and the save as dialogue opens up.
There should be some other problem..

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Charles Allen" wrote:

When creating a new document in 2007, I'd like to click Save and have the
system prompt me for a file name. In 2003, if you create a new document and
click the save button you are prompted for a file name. Is there a way to
have 2007 act like 2003?
--
Charles Allen, MVP

--