Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Michael Michael is offline

Default Lookup function

To clarify,

I have a sheet in which for value ABECY I need to know what type of router
exists onsite
In my array I have ABECY which has a number of existing part numbers, but
only one has the word router in it.

So what I need to do, is Lookup ABECY, check Column 5 for a value if that
value contains the text string "Router" then return the contents of the cell,
In the below I would need B6 as the response to my look up. (in my equation,
column B is actually E)

1 ABECY 1 Port T1-DSU/CSU WAN IC (WIC-1DSU-T1-V2)
2 ABECY 1032 X 1/2 PPH (SC1109)
3 ABECY 24 Port Unmanaged Switch (EZNET-24SW)
4 ABECY 25' Patch Cable Blue
5 ABECY 28 PORT 10/100 ETH SWITCH + 4 Gig ports (SMC6128L2)
6 ABECY 2811 Router - (CISCO2811)
7 ABECY 2950 24 Port Cisco Switch (WS-C2950-24)

" wrote:

Do you want to compare the looked up value with a text string and if
it doesn't match give something else? It is not clear what you mean
by "each lookup vlaue will return several results". Unless you are
using an array function, you are going to get a single result. You
can compare that with something and use the IF function to handle the
logic.

It seems like you just may have this inside out; maybe something more
like

=IF(VLOOKUP(B2, array, 5, false)="text","text","no match"))

Maybe a more detailed example will help.

Ken

On Jun 2, 12:38 pm, Michael wrote:
This may have already been covered but I cannot find it...

What I need is this,

Simple Vlookup, but I need to return a value if it matches a text filter

Each lookup value will return several results, but I only want a return if
it matches..

So, if I were to write it how I think it should work..

=VLOOKUP(B2,Array,5,True if Match(text))