Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Links no longer work

See my post for fixes.

Gord

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 12:56:11 -0500, "Scott D" wrote:

OK, I think I had two instances running but I've never had this problem
before.

Let me explain further...

I have a shortcut to two separate workbooks on my desktop ("checkbook" and
"currently"). I've always opened both files from these shortcuts. Today,
when I opened each workbook, I guess they each opened in a different
instance of excel...I don't think I've changed anything to cause this.

Each month I add a worksheet to the "checkbook" workbook and then switch to
the "currently" workbook via the taskbar. I then select the destination
cell, hit the equal sign, switch back to my new page in the "checkbook"
workbook via the task manager, select the source cell and hit enter. Today
it wouldn't recognize the other workbook. The way I got it to work was to
open the first workbook and then open the second workbook from the recent
documents list from the office/excel button in the first workbook.

Why the change all of a sudden? The only thing peculiar that I can think of
is that along with a lot of people (according to the web) I've had issues
with the DDE after updating windows to sp3. I've had to insert "%1" in the
action part of the file type xlsx, xls and xlsm to allow them to open from a
click on the shortcut located on my desktop, but that was months ago, not
today.

Any thoughts...sorry if this post bounces around.

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Does this mean that existing links no longer update?

Or that you can't create a new link by Copy|paste special|paste link?

If it's the first, if you select the cell with the formula, and hit F2,
then
enter, does the cell re-evaluate?

If it's the second, make sure both workbooks are open in the same instance
of
excel.

Scott D wrote:

All of a sudden I can't get a cell to link to another workbook in excel
2007. This has never happened before. It is as if the workbooks are not
seeing each other. not working with existing or new workbooks.

--

Dave Peterson