Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default Simple ( I thought) X Y Axis point plotting

How do you expect the labels to be plotted? Charts plot X values vs Y
values, with one label per series.

You could tediously plot each separate X-Y pair as its own series with its
own series name label, but it will take a long time, and you'll find you
can't have more than 255 such series, as if there is room with all those
labels.

Or you could select the X and Y values together (hopefully your X data is in
a column and the Y data in the next column to the right) and create an XY
chart. Then download one of these free Excel utilities to add the third
column as data labels on the points:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools,
http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/charttools.htm

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

Two weeks away:

Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009...00906ACNJ.html
_______

"Wobbles" wrote in message

Thank you for the explanation of the x y however it does not work, I
have a list of values in on column i am using as x co ords , i have
another list as y co ords and the third columns is names that correspond
to the co ords , when i try to plot it my results are either one
plotted or then all but only on one axis.
Certain areas of the graph could get crowed so my perfect solution
would be to many even go one step further so that hovering or clicking a
point will bring up the name, that is a less important thing than
getting the bleedin things plotted correctly :(

Wobbles;364331 Wrote:
Sorry i am new to this forum and as when i signed up it asked what
versions i was using i thought the information was public knowledge , I
am in fact using excel 2002

:nw)

--
Wobbles