Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
joeu2004 joeu2004 is offline

Default Sumproduct query

"Marc T" wrote:
what I'm needing to count is the number of rows that
contain one or more Y rather than every Y that occurs.

One way:

=SUMPRODUCT(--((A1:A4="y")+(B1:B4="y")+(C1:C4="y")0))

In all of your examples, column A is "y", which might allow some incorrect
formulas seem to work when they really don't. You should also test with an
example where column A is not "y", but one or more other columns is.