Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default Using Data Validation with a vlookup formula

Can we see one of your VLOOKUP() formulas? Should work just fine with or
without the second workbook being opened.

In a test set up here, I set up a list in my Results book on Sheet3 and
named it. Then I set up data validation using that named range in A2 on
Sheet1.

In my source book, I set up a table on its Sheet1 from A2 through C9, with
A2:A9 containing the same contents as in my named range in the Results book.

With both books open I set up this formula in B2 of Sheet1 in the Results
Book:
=VLOOKUP(A2,[Book1_Source.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$C$9,2,FALSE)
and that worked fine; change the selection in A2 and I get proper return
from the table in the other workbook, then I closed the other (Source) book
and Excel changed the formula properly to:
=VLOOKUP(A2,'C:\Documents and Settings\jlatham\My
Documents\[Book1_Source.xls]Sheet1'!$A$2:$C$9,2,FALSE)
and it all still worked for me; make a change in A2 and B2 fills out
properly via the VLOOKUP().

"Tanya" wrote:

Excel 2007

Working with 2 workbooks. In RESULTS.xlsx I have a Data Validation set
up on a Column using a named range (Data) on a separate worksheet. The
data validation works fine if I am manually entering information. The
problem/question comes when I try to use a vlookup formula to pull
data from SOURCE.xlsx, the data validation does not seem to 'catch'
the 'bad' data.

I'm thinking I may have to write the validation into the formula or
try something with conditional formatting. Either way, I'm at a loss.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Tanya