Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SB Lee[_2_] SB Lee[_2_] is offline

Default Median Calculation

I created the pivot table as you stated and am using the following formula
but it is just bringing back o's. =MEDIAN(IF('Census by
Title'!E$2:E$3251=A5,'Census by Title'!Q$2:Q$3251))

"Max" wrote:

Assume job titles and salary data are in Sheet1's cols A and C, in row2 down.
Do a quick pivot just on that job titles col, place the col header in the ROW
and DATA area (set to count). The pivot will return the list of all the
unique job titles and its corresponding counts in a new sheet. In that pivot
sheet, assume the unique job titles are listed in A5 down. Use an adjacent
col outside the pivot, say C5,
place this and array-enter:
=MEDIAN(IF(Sheet1!A$2:A$5000=A5,Sheet1!C$2:C$5000) )
Copy down to return the required results for each unique job title
--
Max
Singapore
"SB Lee" wrote:
Thank you. The piece I am not clear on is how to create the formula without
hard coding the params. The data I need to use to identify the median is in
2 columns - column A has job title and column B has salary - there are
approximately 1000 different job titles that I need to find the medians for.