Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Bernard Liengme[_3_] Bernard Liengme[_3_] is offline

Default 2709 point limit in Excel 2007 scatter plot

In Excel 2007: I used the same formulas as you and copied down to row 3800
Made an XY chart with Line and no markers
Printed just the chart on an HP 1200 and on an HP L7680 with no problems
Did this on my old PC (Win XP with both Office 2003 and Office 2007
installed)

Many times when a line does not print on an HP printer it is because the
line width is less than the printer's resolution. Have you tired increasing
the line width? However, my old HP1200 had no trouble at width of 1 pt.
I believe there is also a memory size consideration.

So I get the same results as you on your 'other computer'; sound like the
fault is in the set up on the first computer (not with XL2007)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Vivianne" wrote in message
It appears that I cannot print a line-only scatter plot with more than
2709
points in the series.

In a new workbook, I filled column A with "=row()" and column B with
"=sin(0.01*a1)". The chart appears correctly on the screen and in the
print
preview, however printing to an HP printer (tried both laserjet 6 and
deskjet
6100 series) or Adobe 9 PDF driver results in a chart with axes and legend
but no data.

If I change the range to 2709 points or less, the chart prints properly.
If
I format the plot to include markers, it prints properly.

The system I'm using has both Excel 2003 and 2007 on it. I can save the
file as either a .xls or .xlsx file and open the file in Excel 2003. The
chart prints properly in this version of Excel.

I tried to reproduce the problem on a another computer, which did NOT have
Excel 2003 installed, and the problem does not appear. There are multiple
differences between the two systems however, so I cannot determine if this
is
correlation or coincidence. I am very hesitant to uninstall Excel 2003 on
my
main computer, since 2007 continues to present minor glitches like this
one
that make life difficult.

Any comments/suggestions would be welcome.

Regards,

Vivianne