Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Eduardo Eduardo is offline

Default summing specifc state abbreviations in a column

hI,
I assume your addresses are in column A and the 2 letter state in Column B,
create a list of all the States posibles in column c and in column D enter (
I suppose your list starts in D1

=COUNTIF($b$1:$B$100,D1)

Copy formula down change the range to fit your needs

"Kathy S" wrote:

I have a list of addresses and would like to sum the number of addresses in
each state. There is a column with the 2 letter state abbreviation for each
address. How can I do this? I have never summed actual text in a column before