Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mark Mark is offline

Default Using value in two cells as the range for a MAX function

Hi there,

So I have this type of data, but much more of it than I copied:

Time Position Torque
0 121.3 2.71
0.01 121.3 3.25
0.02 121.1 3.93
0.03 120.9 4.34
0.04 120.8 4.88
0.05 120.6 5.42
0.06 120.3 6.1

I am trying to search a specific range of the the data for a maximum in the
torque column, for example "what is the maximum torque between .5 and 1.5
seconds". I have used the Match function to give me the row numbers that I
want to search (say, .5 seconds is row 50 and 1.5 seconds is row 150) I would
type in "=MAX(C50:C150) to find the maximum torque between those times. Is
there a way to have the MAX function refer to the rows that I have had excel
find? Here is what I have so far:

A B
1 Min Max
2 0 1.228
4 C6 C128

Here I am trying to have excel find the maximum torque between 0 seconds and
1.228 seconds. The match function tells me that 0 seconds is row 6 and 1.228
seconds is row 128, thus I want to find the maximum in C6 to C128. How can i
do this without manually writing the search range each time? Perhaps
something like "=MAX((=A4):(=B4))"? I tried that with no luck.

I hope you can understand the question! It is difficult to explain. Thanks!

Mark