Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove[_2_] Harlan Grove[_2_] is offline

Default How do I keep 3-D reference the same when inserting one row on

jcrowe wrote...
The workbook has 5 sheets.
Alpha order HDPC * *
Alpha Order Management *
Sort
Depart Breakdown
Summary

the first 2 have employees for the 2 different companies, with location,
hours deadepartment etc., these are the sheets I input the hours etc. each
payperiod. the sort sheet has the employees for both companies combined, I
have a simple formula in the sort sheet to pull the information from the
first 2 sheets example
=('Alpha order HDPC'!I14), this will pull the hours for that perticuliar
employee. The problem is when I add additional row into one of the first 2
sheets, the formula in the sort sheet changes or course. I need the sort
sheet to stay the same if I add new rows the the first two sheets.

If you're pulling records into the 'sort' worksheet 1st from the
'Alpha order HDPC' worksheet then from the 'Alpha Order Management'
worksheet, you'd be better off using formulas like the following in
the 'sort' worksheet. I'm going to assume row 1 in all 3 of these
worksheets contain column headings with records beginning in row 2.
I'm also going to assume there are no blank fields in any record in
either of the 1st 2 worksheets. Finally, I'm going to assume the first
field of these records is in column A.

sort!A2:
=IF(ROWS(A$2:A2)<COUNTA('Alpha order HDPC'!A:A),INDEX('Alpha order
HDPC'!A:A,ROWS(A$1:A2)),
INDEX('Alpha Order Management'!A:A,ROWS(A$1:A2)-COUNTA('Alpha order
HDPC'!A:A)+1))

Fill A2 right as far as needed. I'll assume that would be through
column Z. Then select sort!A2:Z2 and fill down as far as needed.

No matter how you insert or delete rows in the 1st 2 worksheets, these
formulas in the 3rd worksheet will pull in records in order from the
1st 2 worksheets.