Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marty Marty is offline

Default How do I convert a .xls file to .asc?

I need to covert a .xls file to .asc to send to another system. Based on the
explanation the recipient has given me, it sounds like what they want is a
text file with fixed width columns. They also want page breaks inserted at
each change in dept #. The data in the file will be:

Dept # (a 3-6 digit number)
Employee Name (text with the max characters = 50)
Dept Name (text with the max characters = 50)
Parent Company (text with max characters = 6)
Last TST (some values will be a date in mm/dd/yyyy format and some will be
the text "None in 2 yrs"

I am not a programmer so please provide easy to follow detailed instructions.

Thanks so much!