Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Conditional Format if cell contains a word

One way...

List the items in a range of cells, say, X1:X6

Assume C1 is the cell to format

Select cell A1
Goto the menu FormatConditional Formatting
Select the Formula Is option
Enter this formula in the box on the right:
=AND(C1<"",SUM(COUNTIF(C1,"*"&$X$1:$X$6&"*"))=0)
Click the Format button
Select the desired style(s)
OK out

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"conditional format if cell contains word" <conditional format if cell
contains wrote in message
Hello and thank you for reading my questions. Hopefully you can help.

I have a small to medium sized worksheet in EXCEL2000 that contains
numbers
and descriptions of meat products.

For instance; 17cs BEEF TENDERLOIN USDA UNGRADED
717W

The tab size spaces are to indicate that there is a new cell. So the above
example is 3 cells.

What I need to do is turn the cell red if it DOES NOT contain the one of
the
words of beef, chicken, pork, veal, lamb, goat.

Thank you in advance,

Matthew Anderson