Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BabyMc BabyMc is offline

Default Balanced formula does not balance

I have tables of figures which I am extracting, via VLOOKUP, to different
reports. I am then compiling a total, of each of these values, in the reports
themselves.
Then I am comparing the total given in my report with the total that is also
included within the initial table and asking Excel to give me an error
message should the two amounts not balance.

I have done this many times without any issues - however I seem to have a
problem in some reports whereby I am receiving an error message even when the
value in the report matches the value in the table.

I have manually checked that the report adds up correctly - and the value in
the table. I have checked that neither value includes a spurious amount
within the decimal (down to 5 places).
I have also split my formula (that produces and error message) in to its two
halves - and these both return the same result.

I am afraid I can't fathom why I am getting an error message. Can anyone help?

Thanks