Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default referencing another sheet and using auto fill

In the sheet called Jan I have the following with `Absences` in A1, the
names in A3, A4...., and the numbers are in column B
----------------
AbsencesPeter 12
James 10

The Feb sheet is the same (different numbers)

This is what I have in my summary sheet (Sheet1). The word `Summary` is in
A1
The words `Jan`and `Feb`are in B3 and B4
The names are in A4, A5 ....
The formula in B4 is =INDIRECT(B$3&"!B"&ROW()-1)
This is copied down and across to pickup the other values
------------------
Summary Jan Feb
Peter 12 3
James 10 4

I did not use a lookup since the names in all sheets are in the same order
but you could alter the formula to use VLOOKUP

best wishes

"merlin" wrote in message
Hi there.

I'm trying to create a summary sheet to summarise data from 12 sheets (jan
to dec).

I have 84 lines each with a member of staff and I need to produce a table
with the totals of thei leave in each month. Each seperate month sheet has
84 lines and a total for each person already on it.

I need to end up with something like this on the summary sheet:

jan feb mar
etc total
peter's leave totals for month and year: 3 4 1 8
john's leave totals for month and year: 7 2 3 12
jane's leave totals for month and year: 4 0 0 4

my sheets are labelled "jan" "feb" etc and what I'm trying to do is use a
formula which allows me to drag and autofill across and down on the
summary sheet to avoid clicking all the workbook for everyone of 12x84
cells by using the labels at the top of each column in the summary sheet.

I've considered INDIRECT and ADDRESS but I don't really understand how to
apply them.

Please could someone help?

TIA