Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Art Art is offline

Default vlookup ignoring empty cells

Thanks. But is there a way to just check if the cell is empty then dont do
anything. Because Your way, I have to enter the formula Vlookup twice (if
vlookup is error then zero, if not the vlookup). Is there a way to do this by
entering only once the vlookup formula?

Thanks

Art

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

instead of =VLOOKUP()
use:
=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP()),0,VLOOKUP())
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200854

"art" wrote:

Hello:

I would like to add two amount by using the vlookup, however one might be
empty, which causes the vlookup to return #Value error. How can I check if
one cell is empty then dont add that cell.

Lets say : A B C D
1 John 600 Mark
2 Mark 550 Jones

And in cell A6 I should have the formula
=(vlookup(D1,EmpList,2)+Vlookup(D2,EmpList,2)+Vloo kup(D3,EmpList,2)+Vlookup(D4,EmpList,2)

It should return the total amount and ignoring the cell that are empty.

Thanks.

Art