Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
M Thompson M Thompson is offline

Default isna/iserror functions

Thanks! That did it.

Have a great weekend
--
OneFineDay

"T. Valko" wrote:

wants another left parenthesis at the end?

Yes, you're missing a closing parenthesis for the ISNA function. Also, what
type of lookup are you wanting to do? Do you want to find *exact* matches
only? Or, do you want to find "approximate" matches?

For exact matches only:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A42,County_by_City,3,0)),0,VLOOKU P(A42,County_by_City,3,0))

For "approximate" matches:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A42,County_by_City,3)),0,VLOOKUP( A42,County_by_City,3))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"M Thompson" wrote in message
Thanks. That's what I thought, but I'm having trouble getting either one
work with vlookup, so I thought they must only be available in certain
versions. I have this:
=VLOOKUP(A42,County_by_City, 3,0)
I tried this:
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A42,County_by_City,3),0,vlookup(A 42,County_by_City,3,0))
Excel keeps telling me there's a problem with the first zero, and always
wants another left parenthesis at the end? Any ideas?

Thanks to all for your time, and have a great holiday.
--
OneFineDay

"M Thompson" wrote:

What versions of Excel allow using these two functions?
--
OneFineDay