Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
C C is offline

Default A hyperlink to a JPG file opens the image in IE, not the defau

How do you specify what browser comes up if you have a web address in the
hyperlink. I tried changing Internet Shortcut with no file extension in File
Types from Explorer to Firefox and it didn't work. Can you use Firefox? I use
2000.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

You should not need to mess with the Registry:
1. open some folder
2. Tools Folder Options File Types JPG Advanced and clear the
browse in same window checkbox
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200840

"SteveMann" wrote:

Heres a piece of weirdness Ive been investigating with my spreadsheet
database.

As you doubtless know, you can put hyperlinks to a file on your hard disk
into an Excel Worksheet or Word Document. If you click on such a link then
the file will open in its associated program. Except, after an automatic
update to Office 2003 SP3.

I have a database of about 15,000 JPG photos in Excel, with a hyperlink to
each one. The Microsoft Windows Photo Gallery is the default program for all
JPG images, and opening any image from Windows Explorer does so in Windows
Photo Gallery.

Excel however, opens the linked images in the Web Browser, which is rather
annoying for a number of reasons including the resolution.

In XP I fixed this with a registry entry in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\C ommon\Internet:
DWORD ForceShellExecute = 1

But, I can't find a similar place in Vista to add this key.

Any help to fix this would be appreciated