Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Can I rename the column letters a,b,c etc. in excel 2003

Tools|Options|General Tab|Uncheck R1C1 Reference style
(and save the workbook)

But remember how you changed this. Excel picks this setting up from the first
workbook it opens in that session.

So if you're unlucky and open one of those workbooks that was saved in R1C1
reference style, you'll have to do it again.

jmiller15 wrote:

Well my version of Excel 2003 did just that, renamed the columns from letters
to numbers and it is most frustrating to worl with. How did that happen and
how can I get the columns back to letters?
Thanks much

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

bobby

You cannot change the column header letters or row header numbers. These are
fixed by Excel.

A workaround is is to have your names in row 1.

Insert a column left of Column A and in A2 enter =ROW()-1

Copy that down as far as you wish.

Now go to ToolsOptionsView and uncheck "row and column headers"

Select B2 and WindowFreeze Panes.

This will leave row 1 and column A frozen in view as you scroll down or across.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 09:44:00 -0700, bobby02169
wrote:

I would like to rename the columns in excel 2003, for example instead of A
showing up in the top column, I would like it to be name.
Or I would like to add a row between the letters and row 1, without it being
numbered.
The reason for this I would like row 1 to show name 1, it now appears in row
2, because I have name as a header in row 1.
Thanks for any help.

--

Dave Peterson