Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default Formulas

Assumption: the quantity on hand is in column B (names in A) and all columns
beyond B available for us to use.

We'll work with row 2.

Type the amount used/removed into C2 and in D2 the formula
=B2 - C2
will give you what is left.

Now, the problem is that Excel won't 'remember' the amount left back in
column B when you delete/change the entry in C2, so you'd then need to
manually change the quantity on hand in B2 and delete the entry in C2.

"Donna" wrote:

I need a basic formula as soon as possible! I know that I have done this type
of work before however, it has been so long since that I cannot remember how
to do it.

I have a spreadsheet with various items named on it, and the amount we have
next to it. What is the formula that I need to put in, in order to keep track
of what we have i.e. when something gets taken out of the archive, I can just
type it in and see straight away what is left?

I HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE!

many thanks.