Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete Pete is offline

Default VLOOKUP not returning data in some (but not all) records

I missed this post last night!

Finally, this is what was happening:
1. When I imported a new inventory list into my workbook, the cell range
defined by "inventory" was not changing and N10001 was coincidentally the
first row outside that range (found this by using F5). It appears I have to
delete all of the info in the sheet, paste the new info, and redefine
"inventory"; before I was simply pasting over the existing info and trying to
redefine....
2. ...which is why adding "false" didn't help before. I also have to add
this parameter.

I have also bookmarked the Contextures website, so hopefully I won't make
another stupid mistake so public!

Thanks to everyone for their help.
--
Thanks!

Pete.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Hit F5 (or ctrl-g or Edit|goto) and type Inventory and hit enter.

Does that selection include all the rows that you expect to be included?

And if you're matching on text, I bet you'll want an exact match. Make sure you
use False as that 4th parm.

And if this doesn't help, maybe there's a difference between the cells that you
think match. Leading/trailing spaces???)

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on troubleshooting =vlookup():
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

Pete wrote:

My Excel 2003 workbook includes the following sort of data:

N90486 HOND 9 ACO4EXL RED 1HGCS22839A010469
N100001 HOND 10 INSEX RED JHMZE2H73AS001296

VLOOKUP is using the first column to pull data (=VLOOKUP(C8,inventory,4)).
If the value in C8 is <=N90486, the data transfers fine; if it is =N100001,
it returns #N/A and does not offer the "Formula Error Button" next to the
cells with errors.

Suggestions?
--
Thanks!