Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Text Separation Function

On Fri, 15 May 2009 16:44:02 -0700, kateconrey
wrote:

I have a database with one column of information including names (First Last,
or First Middle Last) and for some names, locations in parenthesis. I am
looking for a function that will allow me to split these pieces into separate
columns for First Name, Middle Name (where applicable), Last Name, and
Location (where listed). Does this exist?

It may be doable, depending on the patterns. You can search the string for the
patterns which define the various substrings you wish to extract.

You'll have to give some examples that include all the variations of what you
want to do.
--ron