Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme[_3_] Bernard Liengme[_3_] is offline

Default Cell to return a specific value if left blank

Your formula =IF(A1="",1,A1)
And so should these
=A1+ISBLANK(A1)
=A1+(A1<1) ... this is the shortest
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Sdtex" wrote in message
Just a novice, so please bear with me. I'm trying to set up an inventory
system where 1 is the most common amount, yet I would also like the
"quantity" column to reflect the input value if different than 1. Thus I
would like to be able to leave a cell blank and return the value of 1,
otherwise it returns the value I input. Hop that makes sense. I tried
the
following =IF(A1,"",1,A1), thinking the double quotes would equate to a
blank
cell, but I may be waaay off base here. So, I'm thinking this reads: If A1
is
left blank, then return a value of 1, otherwise, return the value input
into
A1. Thanks for your help...........