Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo Marcelo is offline

Default Cell to return a specific value if left blank

Hello,

If I have undertood what are you looking for it will run.

first of all you can not have a value and a formula in the same cell, a1 for
instance, in this case we have to use an auxiliar column to help us lets
assume column B as auxiliar, so in b1 use

=if(a1="",1,a1)

Hope this helps.
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"Sdtex" escreveu:

Just a novice, so please bear with me. I'm trying to set up an inventory
system where 1 is the most common amount, yet I would also like the
"quantity" column to reflect the input value if different than 1. Thus I
would like to be able to leave a cell blank and return the value of 1,
otherwise it returns the value I input. Hop that makes sense. I tried the
following =IF(A1,"",1,A1), thinking the double quotes would equate to a blank
cell, but I may be waaay off base here. So, I'm thinking this reads: If A1 is
left blank, then return a value of 1, otherwise, return the value input into
A1. Thanks for your help...........