Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Guillett Don Guillett is offline

Default What causes = not to work?

Calculation is set by the method specified in the FIRST file to open

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Rhos" wrote in message
Okay. the calculation being set to manual seems to the problem.

But when I change it to automatic, it reverts to manual the next time I
open
Excel! Is there somewhere else that I can change this default setting?

Thanks to all!

Amy

"Mike H" wrote:

Amy,

two thoughts:-

is calculation set to manual?
Tools|Options - Calculation tab and select auto.

Are these cells formatted as text when you enter a formula?
Ensure they are formatted as 'general'

Mike

"Amy" wrote:

On several occasions lately I've had the misfortune of my spreadsheet
refusing to treat a formula as a formula. Instead it shows me the
formula.
i.e. "=A2+A4" instead of "16". What causes this??? How do I avoid it?

Also, when the formula does work, I'm having an issue when I drag the
formula to other cells that it doesn't process unless I manually go
into that
cell and hit enter. The formula reads correctly, but the result is the
same
that was in the first cell until I click in the cell and hit enter.
(This is
not a relative/absolute reference issue)

If these ring a bell to anyone...please help!!