Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default Vlookup

Hi,

What do we do if there's and exact match? This finds the next highest if
there isn't an exact match and if there is an exact match it returns the match

=MIN(IF(A1:A7=C1,B1:B7))

if you 'always' want the higer vaue even when there's an exact match use this

=MIN(IF(A1:A7C1,B1:B7))

This is an array formula which must be entered with CTRL+Shift+Enter and NOT
'just enter. If you do it correctly then Excel will put curly brackets around
'the formula{}. You can't type these yourself. If you Edit the ranges
'then you must re-enter as An array

Mike

"Lorry" wrote:

I am using the vlookup function and need it to return the match for the next
highest value, not the closest below the value. Example: Value is 61 and I
need it to return the information in column two below (.87) but it's
returning .8, because 59 is below 61. I need it to move to the next up, 64.
Can someone help?

54 .59
59 .8
64 .87