Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joeu2004 joeu2004 is offline

Default What causes = not to work?

"Amy" wrote:
On several occasions lately I've had the misfortune of my spreadsheet
Instead it shows me the formula. i.e. "=A2+A4" instead of "16". What
causes this??? How do I avoid it?

If this happens in all cells with formulas, click Tools Options View and
be sure that Formulas is unchecked.

More likely, the individual cells that show the formula were explicitly
formatted as Text when you entered the formula. Select those cells, click
Format Cells Number and select General or any other format that you
want. Then press F2 and Enter (or ctrl-shift-Enter for array formulas).

I'm having an issue when I drag the formula to other cells that it doesn't
process unless I manually go into that cell and hit enter.

Click Tools Options Calculation and click Automatic. You probably have
Manual set.

Caveat emptor: Manual calculation might be set for good reason, notably to
avoid recalculation of cells with random expression (RAND or RANDBETWEEN).
If that's the case, you might want to retain Manual calculation mode and
simply press F9 every time you want to cause recalculation (sigh).