Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] krcowen@aol.com is offline

Default Excel, two text fields equal the number 1 per occurance

Since you can't use COUNTIFS in 2003 and you have two criteria in your
counting decision, you could concatenate your two criteria in column C
and use that column in your COUNTIF formula. I would put put the
following formula in column C

=A4&" "&B4

and this formula in column D

=COUNTIF($C$4:$C$11,C4)

copy them down. (my data was in rows 4:11)

You could use an Advanced Filter to make a unique list of name-drink
combinations in another location, and then use the countif formula for
those cells.

Good luck

Ken
Norfolk, Va

On May 13, 3:49*pm, Don McLean
wrote:
I just found out that this can be done with the COUNTIFS function in Excel
2007. But how can we do it in 2003?

"Don McLean" wrote:
I am in need of help with an excel function. Here is some sample data.

Don * * * *coffee
James * *coffee
Joe * * * *tea
Sally * * *coffee
Don * * * tea
Sally * * *tea
Sally * * *tea
Don * * * coffee

I need these two columns to be conditional in that If Don drinks tea that
equals one occurance. The data I need would show that Don drinks tea "1", Don
drinks coffee "2". Sally drinks tea "2", Sally drinks coffee "1".

Can anyone please help me? Thanks.- Hide quoted text -