Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how to select the first character in a cell and delete the rest

Here is another way to get the leading number, assuming the leading numbers
are less than 1000 (increase the 999 if the numbers can be bigger)...

=LOOKUP(999,--LEFT(A1,ROW($1:$99)))

This method will return the leading number even if the character after it is
not an "x".

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Helenf" wrote in message
Hi and thank you in advance
I have a large spreadsheet where they have populated values like 3x3ml,
5x0.5ml etc. They are all pretty different. We only need the first numbers
before the x. How do I do this? Please help