Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
hvannest hvannest is offline

Default Date changes to 0-Jan-00 when I leave cell

I entered the date as 5/12/09. As I'm entering it, the formula bar shows
5/12/09. Once I press Enter, when I go back into the cell, the formula bar
shows =5/12/09 which I understand is what you're explaining below. If I
format the cell to General then I get 0.046296296, which also makes sense,
given the "=" in the formula bar.

Why would it be changing it from the date to a formula?

"David Biddulph" wrote:

What date did you enter? What does the formula bar show? What value do you
see if you temporarily reformat the cell to General?

You would, of course, see the 0th of January 1900 if your cell contained a
formula such as =12/5/2009, as 12 divided 5 then by 2009 is a number less
than 1, and Excel dates count in whole days from 0th Jan 1900.
--
David Biddulph

"hvannest" wrote in message
The cell format is set to Number, Date, 14-Mar-01. I enter the date, and
when I press Enter, the date converts to 0-Jan-00. Any thoughts? Thank
you.