Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] berneslai@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Help differentiating numbers and dates

Hi,

I have been given a 2003 Excel worksheet containing just one column of
data. This column contains dates (dd/mm/yyyy) and values. I have
been asked to differentiate the dates from the values as anything
formatted as a date *is* a date and anything formatted as a number
*is* a number.

However, as most of the values would represent a valid date (i.e.
24769 would be 24/10/1967), I can't find a single formula that can
differentiate between the numbers and dates. I've tried sorting,
string lengths, looking for "/" characters and using text and
datevalue combined.

I thought I'd ask here before I have to look through all 220,000
values manually. Is there a way of looking for a format type?

Thanks,
Bernie