Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Calculating Days Elasped

On Sun, 10 May 2009 08:11:01 -0700, Popey
wrote:

Hi

Hopefull this will be a simple task for somebody to help this simple Excel
user out :-)

In Cell A1 I have a set date (12 Apr 09).

In Cell B1 I would like to be displayed the time elasped in **y **m **d
(double digit years, months, days) since the date in A1 and today's date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Since neither Years nor Months have a precisely defined number of days, you may
get unexpected answers.

However, this is one way that will work most of the time:

=DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"y") & " yrs " &
DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"ym") & " months " &
DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"md") & " days"

See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.aspx for documentation for the
DATEDIF function, which is only in Excel 2000 HELP, but is in most versions of
Excel since 97.
--ron