Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
smartin smartin is offline

Default Match worksheet

Bob F wrote:
I have 2 worksheets, the first one shows results from last month while the
second shows resutls for the current month. What I need to get the ability to
identify any changes between the 2 months i.e. add, change, del.

Nothe both worksheets have the same number of column but not the same number
of rows. Is there a way to achieve this match within excel, thanks

Try VLOOKUP. Without knowing the structure of your worksheets a specific
solution cannot be given, but in general...

Adds are detected by looking up the keys in the new month against the
keys in the old month. !N/A means you have a new entry.

Changes are detected by looking up the values in the new month against
the values in the old month and testing for equality. Note since !N/A
means a new entry, you can combine the add formula with the change formula.

Deletes are the converse of adds: Look up the keys in the old month
against the keys in the new. !N/A means this record was deleted.

Play with VLOOKUP for a while and see if you can get this working.