Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike H. Mike H. is offline

Default Non-Bleeding Cells

That is a tolerable way to do it. Thanks!

"Mike H." wrote:

I don't really like this as a solution because of what is involved. I would
prefer to just be able to format the cell someway so it doesn't bleed over.
There might be something in B2, which prevents the bleeding but B1 was empty
so I'd have to fill in just the empty cells.

"RagDyeR" wrote:

A1 runs over into B1 because B1 is empty.

So, if you add this formula to B1:

=""

It's no longer empty.

This leaves B1 with the appearance of being empty,
allows users to easily overwrite it to add data,
and can be viewed in the formula bar,
which is a much better alternative then using the "much dreaded" <SpaceBar
to fill B1.
--

HTH,

RD

"Mike H." wrote in message
Is there a way to format a cell so that it only displays its contents in the
current cell rather than appearing to "bleed" over to the adjoining cells.
In other words if the cell contained the text string "Now is the time for
all
good men" and the cell was only 10 characters wide, on-screen you would only
see "Now is the" because that is all that would display. If this was in
cell
A1, cell B1 would appear empty. What happens now is that the contents just
display across all the cells it needs in order to show the whole sentence.
don't want to wrap the text. I don't want to change anything in any way
other than have the contents appear truncated so B1 is "empty". Thanks.