Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tboggs13 tboggs13 is offline

Default Excel 2007 SP2 Addition of Negative Numbers Error

One of my co-workers found the KB article explaining the situation and
although I understand it now, I can't imagine the average user expecting to
encounter this when dealing with monetary values that always consist of two
decimal places.

Thank you for your assistance

Tim

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

This is simple rounding error. Avoiding it with:

"Precision as displayed"

option is dangerous for thing like compound interest, etc.

=ROUND() is better.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200851

"tboggs13" wrote:

That may help me work around the issue, but if Excel is unable to properly
add a positve and a negative number, can I trust it to round properly?

I have tried several different numbers, and it throws out some really
interesting results to the right of the decimal.

--
Tim

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

=ROUND(SUM(A2:D2),2)